Reciprocating saw is most commonly used in construction work and has made the process a lot easier due to its ability to perform multiple tasks very quickly and efficiently. It has drastically reduced the manpower needed to perform tiresome cutting activities generally common in construction sites. It performs the cutting action through the push and pull reciprocating motion of the blade and hence called reciprocating saw. There are different designs of reciprocating saws available in the market based on the type of work, material to be cut, operating voltage levels and speed.
What is the reciprocating saw used for?
Reciprocating saw is used mainly in construction and demolition works due to its ability to perform tasks at much little effort and less time. It is possible to cut almost everything like metals, pipelines, wood and timber, plastic, drywall, plaster, ceilings and stones by simply changing the blades for the correct type of material. This makes it a complete value for money product without any doubt. Some special low power reciprocating saws are also used by dentists and surgeons for cutting teeth and bones during complex surgeries.
Can a reciprocating saw cut metal?
Yes, it is possible for a reciprocating saw to cut metal by using the right blade. In fact, the metals can be cut very cleanly and precisely with the help of reciprocating saw.
How to select the right blade for your tasks?
Selecting the right blade is really important to get quality results during cutting and hence one should be aware of how to select the right kind of blade for the task. The following instructions can be followed for selecting the right kind of blade:
- A fine tooth blade which almost resembles a hacksaw should be used for cutting metal pipes and nails.
- For cutting the through the woods, a coarse blade should be chosen while the coarsest bladed should be used for cutting plasters to get the best results.
- Toothless blades coated with tungsten carbide abrasive gift should be used while cutting through ceramic tiles, stones and cast iron materials.
- A nail cutting wooden blade can also be used for cutting plywood and roofs.
- Although most of the blades are of length of 6 inches, special small jig-saw type blades and longer 12 inches blades are also available for special purposes like cutting trees and timbers, deep and narrow areas etc.
Although, the blades have a very long life but they should be changed once, the cutting process becomes slower.
Important things to note before buying recip saw:
The type of power source should be considered before buying a reciprocating saw. The power source can be fed from electrical supply if the saw has cords. Also, the power source can be battery based if the saw is cordless. The cordless saw comes as different types based on operating voltage ranging for 10.8 V to 18 V. Cordless saws have the advantage of more flexibility in using the saw for performing complex tasks but requires charging of batteries again and again in case of heavy work. Hence, based on the type of the work, the power source of the saw should be taken care.
The power level of the reciprocating saw ranges from 10.8 V to 20V, while 18V reciprocating saw is most commonly used. More voltage means more operating power of the saw. Hence, based on the severity of the work, the power level of the saw should be decided before buying any of them.
Speed and Stroke
Speed is one of the most important factor to be considered before buying a reciprocating saw. The faster the speed of the blade, the more accurate is the cut and more is the control over the cutting process. Also, variable speed reciprocating saws are also available and gives much better control during the cutting process. Variable speed saws also helps to adjust the speed of the saw according to the type of the material to be cut.
Stroke length is one another important consideration before buying a reciprocating saw. Stroke length is the distance which the blade covers with each movement and hence is very important. The longer the stroke length of the blade, faster is the cutting process and longer is the lifespan of the blade.
The warranty of any product always has an impact on its customers. People always tend to go for the products which offers more warranty compared to others. They have a feeling of safety and security for the money they invested. Although the reciprocating saws generally doesn’t face any problems, still saws with more warranty should be preferred.
Extra features to be considered in a reciprocating:
Extra and innovative features are always a bonus and always attract the customers. It acts as a surprise package for the users. Features like electric control of motors which helps in better speed control and precision, ability to reverse the reciprocating action to cut in the opposite direction, facility to change the cutting angle, LED jobs lights to for effective service during dark hours etc. is always a great advantage for the customers. Further, the ability to use the jigsaw blades and tool-less blade changing facilities are recent innovations that one should look for before buying any reciprocating saw.
What’s the Best reciprocating Saw to Buy
Makita XRJ01Z 18-Volt\Cordless Compact
Very lightweight with a price under 100$
The Makita XRJ01Z is an 18 V and battery powered variable speed reciprocating with about 0 – 3,000 strokes/minute and has a stroke length of 1/2″ for better cutting. Makita has a dual-position switch that allows for both paddle or trigger switch operation making it a great product. It also has ‘Tool-less’ blade change system allows for faster blade changing process. The product offers warranty for 3 years. Click here to get a package of Blades.
- The product is a very lightweight weighing only 3.2 pounds and has a very compact size of dimensions of 17x4x7 inches.
- The LXT lithium-ion battery provides a longer run time due to its high charge storage capacity.
- It provides excellent and quality cutting with very little effort.
- It comes with a 3-year warranty on the reciprocating saw and 1-year warranty on the charger and the battery.
- The cordless saw provides better cutting experience in case of complex cutting activities.
- The battery and charger is not included with the main product. Hence, you need to pay an additional cost for them making it a bit expensive.
DEWALT DCS310S1 12-Volt (MAX Pivot)
Adjustable handle with a price under 150$
The DEWALT DCS310S1 is a 12-Volt operating MAX Pivot Reciprocating Saw Kit and features an adjustable 3-position pivoting handle making the users able to make difficult cuts in very less confined spaces. It has a stroke length of 9/16″ and a variable speed of 0-2700 strokes/minute. It has battery and charger included along with the product. You can get more of Metal/Woodcutting Blades for this model from here.
- The variable speed and longer stroke length provides better blade control for precision cuts.
- It weighs 5.5 pounds and has a dimension of 17.4×8.9×3.8 inches.
- It has a pivoting shoe providing it better stability during the cutting process.
- It has a lever-action blade clamp which is keyless and allows quick and easy change of blades.
- LED light facility is available which helps to work in dark areas for better vision.
- It also includes a 4″ 6 TPI wood cutting blade and a 4″ 18 TPI metal cutting blade along with the saw, battery and the charger.
- The battery life is a bit disappointing for some users having an average life of 2 hours when completely charged.
Powerful battery and under 100$
The Hitachi CR18DGLP4 is an 18V cordless reciprocating saw that comes with a lifetime warranty. It has a stroke length of 1’’ and a no load speed of 3300 strokes/minute making it a quality product. It is very easy to use and also has tool-less blade changing system.
- It is compatible with all Hitachi 18V Lithium Ion slide-type batteries and has a battery life equal to 3X times of NiCad batteries.
- It features adjustable front shoe for better and deeper cuts with utmost precision.
- It has tool-less blade changing facility which saves a lot of time.
- The product has lifetime lithium ion tool warranty.
- It features LED lights to help to work in dark areas.
- The battery and charger is not included in the package which adds to its disadvantage.
Ryobi P515 ONE plus 18-Volt
Anti-vibration handle and under 100$
This reciprocating saw offers greater productivity due to its features like adjustable pivoting shoe , variable speed with up to 3100 strokes/minute and electronic braking facility. It also provides better ergonomics for the users and has a very compact design. It weighs only 4.6 pounds and has a dimension of 15x6x6 inches.
- The product has a unique Anti-Vibe handle, which helps in reducing the fatigue during long working hours.
- It also has a new GripZone over mold for better grip for the user while using the saw and also the adjustable pivoting shoe allows greater depth control during the cutting process.
- The electronic braking system is very effective in stopping the cutting process quickly and thus gives accurate cuts.
- The tool-less blade changing facility allows faster and easier changing of blades without the risk of any injury.
- Battery and the charger is not included in the product making it expensive product for the users.
Makita XRJ03Z 18-Volt
Very compact size and under 150$
Makita’s XRJ03Z has a high torque motor which helps it in faster cutting and demolition activities. With a stroke length of 1-1/8″, it has a wide range of cutting. The device is engineered for professional users and is an ideal choice for plumbing, electrical, flooring and other construction activities. It’s working with high-quality Metal/Woodcutting Blades (6T, 10T 18T and progressive teeth).
- The product is very has a compact size having dimensions of 18x9x4 inches and weighs around 8 pounds.
- It has a stroke length of 1-1/8’’ inches long and a variable speed of 0-2900 strokes/minute giving it a better precision in cuts.
- The product is very handy for professional users and can perform much larger tasks as compared to its size which makes it the first choice for professionals.
- The motor has very high torque which is an added advantage.
- The battery and charger is not included with the main product. Hence, you need to pay an additional cost.
- The battery life of the product is a bit disappointing.
PORTER CABLE PCC670B 20-volt MAX
Most popular in the market under 100$
The PORTER-CABLE PCC670B 20V MAX Lithium Bare Reciprocating Tigersaw is known for its high performance and aggressive cutting speed. It is a 20V operating saw making it a very high speed and less time-consuming cutting device with stroke length of 1’’ and variable speed reaching up to 3000 strokes/minute.
- The product is very lightweight weighing only 3.8 pounds and has a dimension of 16.2×3.5×7.6 inches.
- It is a part of 20V Max system and hence offers a very high performance.
- The tool-less blade changing facility helps in saving a lot of time.
- The compact size of the product helps in reaching the tight spaces and areas which are very difficult to reach with any other saw.
- The battery and charger is not included along with the product and need to be bought separately making it costlier compared to other saws.
- The product is a bit unstable due to its high operating voltage and speed. Hence, the grip should be tighter while using the product.
Black & Decker BDCR20B 20V MAX
Saving energy at a price lower than 100$
It is one of the simplest reciprocating saws available in the market and can perform tasks with good efficiency. The product weighs only 4 pounds and has a dimension of 15.6×3.5×7.1 inches making it very compact. It offers a warranty of 2 years on the product.
- It has a tool-free blade changing facility which is very useful.
- The maximum initial battery voltage at no load is 20V and also has a nominal voltage of 18V. This is a great advantage for the users.
- It has a stroke length of 7/8’’ inches and variable speed as high as 3000 stroke/minute which makes it great choice for faster and accurate cutting process.
- A reciprocating saw also comes in the package along with the reciprocating saw.
- The battery and the charger is not included along with the product which is highly undesirable.
- It has a lot of vibrations while using it. This makes it highly uncomfortable for the user to use the blade for long working hours as it induces stress and pain.
DEWALT Bare-Tool DC385B 18-Volt
For hard works and Under 100$
The DEWALT DC385B is an 18V cordless reciprocating saw with stroke length of 1-1/8’’ inch and variable speed up to 3000 strokes/minute. The battery powered device weighs 6.2 pounds and has a dimension of 6.2×18.6×3.9 inches. The battery used here is NiCad batteries and offers a 90 days money back guarantee.
- The power of the device is quite amazing despite being cordless saw and can perform all heavy duty tasks.
- It comes with a four-position blade clamp that allows flush cutting.
- The lever action keyless blade clamp allows easier and quicker change of blades.
- It has an anti-slip comfort grip that provides better grip and helps in comfortable use and better control.
- The product offers a 3-year limited warranty and 1-year of free service.
- The battery and the charger is not included along with the product which is a huge disadvantage.
- The battery life is less due to the use NiCad batteries.
Bosch CRS180BL Bare-Tool 18-Volt
The easiest Reciprocating Saw Under 150$
It is a very powerful and compact tool weighing only 7 ounces and having a dimension of 17.5x14x5.5 inches. The tool comes with an L-BOXX which helps the device to protect from any damage. The device is very compact which allows to work in narrow areas.
- The device has a two-speed feature which allows you to adjust your speed according to the type of material and hence helps in better cutting.
- It has lock jaw blade holder system which makes it very easy to change the blades.
- It has custom exact-fit tool inlay that allows ideal and safe storage of the tool.
- It has increased productivity and is allows very high précised cuts.
- It offers 3 years of limited warranty on the product and offers quality services to its users.
- The battery and the charger is not available along with the product.
- It has a lot of vibrations when using at high speed which is undesirable.
DEWALT Bare-Tool DCS380B 20-Volt MAX
Most popular in the market under 150$
The DEWALT DCS380B reciprocating saw features is a very rigid and powerful tool which delivers high performance and faster cutting. It has a 1-1/8″ stroke length that delivers a faster cutting speed and also features a variable speed of 0-3000 strokes/minutes. The device weighs only 6.4 pounds and has dimension of 6.1×18.3×4 inches making it very compact and powerful. Click here for more about replacement blades.
- It as a pivoting adjustable shoe, thus extending its blade life and allows better control of cut.
- It also features a rubber over-molded comfort grip that gives better grip and optimal control.
- It has a double oil sealed shaft which prevents any contamination and increases durability.
- The device is very stable to use making it very comfortable for users.
- Battery or charger aren’t included.
- The battery and the charger has to be brought separately which is a huge disadvantage.